Professional Training and Education
At AFA, we pride ourselves on offering innovative, engaging, and practical training and educational programs to professional care partners. Our training philosophy is rooted in the belief that optimal dementia care relies on building relationships. This person-centered approach to care values promotes the unique strengths, goals, and humanity of each individual, involves interdisciplinary collaboration among care providers, and places individuals with dementia and their families at the center of decision-making.
Our signature professional training program is “AFA Partners In Care: Supporting Individuals Living With Dementia.” Developed by AFA and nationally-recognized healthcare professionals for healthcare professionals, our programs prepare all levels of professionals across sectors to feel comfortable and confident interacting with, and caring for, individuals with dementia.
Available on DVD, as well as in-person training workshops, “AFA Partners in Care: Supporting Individuals Living With Dementia” is provides a comprehensive overview of Alzheimer’s and dementia, and examines the importance of building relationships, recognizing behaviors as forms of communication, promoting safety and security, easing care transitions, and self-care.
This six-hour DVD underscores the importance of building relationships in dementia care and provides trainees with critical knowledge and skills, conveyed in a convenient, modular format. It also features perspectives and insights from renowned dementia care leaders and professionals, as well as families and individuals living with dementia. Individuals who complete the training and pass the associated exam may receive certification as an AFA Dementia Care Partner.
This training program is approved for 6 continuing education contact hours for licensed social workers by the National Association of Social Workers and the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work.
Contact hours will be awarded following successful completion of the AFA Partners in Care training program and AFA Dementia Care Partner certification examination.
- This program is approved by the National Association of Social Workers (Approval #886446769-3742) for 6 Social Work-Pain and Symptom Management continuing education contact hours. *Note: New Jersey, Idaho, and Oregon do not currently recognize NASW National Approval. Applications can be submitted to NASW State Chapters. Michigan and West Virginia do not accept National CE Approval Programs and require individual program/provider application processes.
- Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, Inc. SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0222.
Educational Training & Workshops
Dynamic, interactive and flexible, AFA’s educational training workshops equip professionals with the skills, knowledge, and abilities needed to provide optimal care and services to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related illnesses. During the workshops, AFA staff utilize case studies, role play, experiential activities to ensure full understanding of content. Workshops can be customized (full-day, half-day, hourly) to meet the training and educational needs of your organization or care team. Workshops are ideal for professional schools (e.g., nursing, social work), hospitals, home care agencies, residential care facilities, retail stores and a variety of other settings.
Workshop topics include:
- Understanding Alzheimer’s disease and dementia related illness
- Building Relationships in Dementia Care
- Collective collaboration in dementia care
- Promoting health, wellness, and choice in dementia care
- Effective communication and understanding behaviors as communication
- Brain health & wellness
- Professional self-care
AFA provides its Partners in Care training in a live, classroom format, allowing the opportunities to pursue AFA’s Dementia Care Partner certification.
Register for AFA’s live Partners in Care training today:
Cancellation Policy for all Educational Programming
AFA’s encourages participants to make every effort to attend the event for which they have registered. All refunds for educational programming, including training and workshops, are subject to a $30.00 administrative processing fee. Refunds will not be given for no-shows.