AFA’s teen division was founded in 2002, by a teenager, to help educate and support teens whose lives have been impacted by Alzheimer’s disease, as well as those who are interested in getting involved in the cause.
Today, as the incidence of Alzheimer’s continues to rise in line with the growth of our aging population, an increasing number of teens are finding themselves in a caregiving role. AFA Teens is here to help them navigate the challenges and triumphs that await.
Our Mission is to:
- Raise awareness among teenagers and the general public about Alzheimer’s disease.
- Provide education, counseling and support to young family members.
- Provide a space for teens to share feelings and experiences with other teens and experts who “get it.”
- Refer teens and their family members to various programs and supportive services from both AFA and its member organizations.
- Help support AFA’s mission of providing optimal care and services to individuals living with dementia and their families and caregivers.
AFA Teens for Alzheimer’s Awareness 2017 College Scholarship Essay Competition
Grand Prize Winner, $5,000 prize
First Runner-Up, $3,500 prize
Second Runners-Up, $1,500 prize
And congratulations to our Third and Fourth Runners-Up and Honorable Mention AFA Teens!
Third Runners-Up, $1000 prize
- Emily DiMartino, Chicago, Illinois
- Aaron B. Smith, North Augusta, South Carolina
Fourth Runners-Up, $750 prize
- Rachel Sinclair, Spotsylvania, Virginia
- Bartolomeo Voto, Manhasset, New York
- Brooks Threat, Clinton, South Carolina
- Taylor Ebben, Greenville, Wisconsin
- Sarah Huber, Davenport, Louisiana
- Danielle Lawson, Athens, Illinois
- Robert Emerson Schreck, Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
- Kaitlin Morris, Port Washington, New York
- Madison Danovsky, Maple Grove, Minnesota
- Katherine Perry, Hilliard, Ohio
Honorable Mention, $500 prize
- Amanda Marie Linehan, Newbury, Massachusetts
- Lauren Evans, Rochester, Minnesota
- Allison Berger, Harrisburg, North Carolina
- Kathryn Haran, Incline Village, Nevada
- Laine Wood, Chico, California
- Nicole Carroll, Spotswood, New Jersey
- Jaime Lewis, Normal, Illinois
- Lina Petrossian, Glendale, California