The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA)— a leading national nonprofit organization dedicated to providing optimal care and services to individuals living with dementia, and to their caregivers and families—developed the Excellence in Care (EIC) Dementia Care Program of Distinction to establish a nationwide standard of excellence for care settings that provide care to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or related illnesses. Through comprehensive on-site evaluations, AFA’s EIC specialists work with participating facilities to enhance their dementia programs by examining crucial facets of care, ranging from staff education to the physical environment to meaningful living and active engagement.
Benefits of becoming an EIC Site:
- Assist families in selecting the best care settings for their loved ones.
- Stand out from other facilities.
- Retain and recruit staff.
- Be a dementia care resource.
- Full utilization of AFA resources.
*** Learn more about the EIC program through our special webinar October 30th at 2 pm. Register here. ***
EIC Care Sites
The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America proudly awards its “Excellence in Care Dementia Care Program of Distinction” to dementia care sites that meet its national care standards after undergoing an extensive evaluation by an AFA Excellence in Care specialist.
Become an AFA EIC Specialist
Becoming an AFA EIC specialist provides health care professionals a unique and valuable opportunity to promote national care standards of excellence in dementia care in their local communities, develop professionally, network, and earn supplemental income.
An applicant must:
- Have at least three years of recent experience in dementia care (e.g., social workers, nurses, administrators, program directors/coordinators, geriatric care managers).
- Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and/or current license in their state.
- Complete an application form
- Submit a resume/curriculum vitae
- Interview with AFA’s director of educational and social services
- Submit required fees
AFA will review all completed applications and notify applicants of acceptance. AFA’s director of educational and social services will coordinate with accepted applicants to arrange attendance of a mandatory webinar on EIC program protocols and procedures. Applicants who successfully complete the webinar, and AFA’s Partners in Care training program will receive final approval from AFA and designated as an AFA Excellence in Care specialist.
“The EIC distinction has allowed us to maintain best practice best approach and the continual search to find out the best ways we can offer the residents and families of Desert Hills Memory Care the difference between living and living well.”
– Chantelle Hudson, Desert Hills Memory Care, Hemet, CA, EIC site since 2009
“The EIC distinction makes our caregivers more comfortable leaving loved ones here. It makes the employees have pride in their work. It makes me feel really good that our clients are having quality of life”
– Vicki Kerr, Caring Days, Tuscaloosa, AL, EIC site since 2014
“We are proud to be the only day center in the State of Louisiana to receive this distinction–and four times since 2009. In a society in which elder care, especially care for those with Alzheimer’s or dementia, is often lacking, I feel it is important for care settings to have the accountability and structure to assure that affected individuals are receiving the utmost in quality care and that their needs are met through a person-centered philosophy. Having such a standard raises the bar for everyone else to provide excellence in care and for those who don’t, questions should be asked, ‘Why not?’ We have had nothing but positive experiences through the EIC process.”
– Dana Territo, Charlie’s Place, Baton Rouge, LA, site since 2009
“Families are quite proud of our certification, and word of mouth throughout the community has had a positive impact on our community. Because of the higher standard that AFA requires, many families, and other health care professionals, recognize that we provide a higher standard of care to those we serve.”
– Mary Jane Eicke – Juniper Village Wellspring Memory Care at Williamstown – site since 2010
“It has been a great experience working with AFA’s team – everyone has been very accommodating and professional. The EIC audit process has also been really helpful in prompting us to review all of our program practices, to make any necessary changes, and to adopt new policies that reinforce our commitment to delivering the best standard of dementia care in all that we do.”
– Aimee Ruiz – Alzheimer’s Family Services Center – site since 2014