- This event has passed.
AFA Teal Room: Cooking with Melissa — Summer Salads
June 30, 2022 @ 2:30 pm
This event will take place at the AFA Teal Room: www.alzfdn.org/afatealroom.
Let’s get in the kitchen and cook something good for our soul and brain health! Join Melissa Gallagher-Cashman, CTRS, CDP, CADDCT, CMDCP, NASM-CPT, for a wonderful cooking program, focusing on brain healthy foods and how to incorporate them into your diet every day!
Each week, you will focus on 3 or 4 brain healthy foods, their benefits, and how to use them in simple, healthy, and delicious recipe(s).
While you cook, you will practice mindfulness, heighten senses, and recall memories.
So, grab your measuring spoons and spatulas and join us for… Cooking with Melissa!
Avocado Egg Salad
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons red onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or plain yogurt, mayo substitute or sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon of dried parsley)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- *optional: add chopped celery
- *optional: lettuce leaves
Three Bean Salad
- 2 cups of fresh green beans (or 1 can)
- 2 cups of fresh wax beans (butter beans) or 1 can
- 1 can of dark red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 small red onion (3/4 cup chopped)
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa (cook according to package directions)
- *optional: add chickpeas
Dressing (can be used for other salads also):
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 stevia packet (or sugar equivalent)
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon fresh basil chopped (1/4 teaspoon dried)