Gifts of Stock or Other Securities
Many individuals choose to make a gift to the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America by donating shares of stock or long-term appreciated securities.
If you are holding appreciated securities (stocks, mutual funds, etc.), a large capital gain can turn an asset into a liability when it comes time to sell. There are many tax benefits to you when you transfer ownership to AFA.
- You are entitled to a charitable income tax deduction for the fair market value of the gifted securities as of the date of the gift.
- Capital gains tax is eliminated since you are donating the securities directly to a charity versus selling them on the open market.
You can transfer gifts of securities to AFA by:
Direct Wire Transfers
You can make an electronic transfer of securities to AFA in just two simple steps. There is no need for reissued certificates.
- To ensure you receive proper acknowledgement of your securities donation, contact AFA’s development team at 866-232-8484 to inform us that you are initiating a transfer (the amount and type of shares, in whose memory or honor your donating (if applicable), and your name and contact information). If you prefer your gift be anonymous, please let us know that as well.
- Provide the following information to your broker:
- Ameritrade DTC: 0188
- Account Name: Alzheimer’s Foundation of America
- Account Number: 782159560
- Broker Phone: 800-669-3900
Sign the back of the original stock certificate and mail it to us with your name and contact information, in whose memory or honor you are donating (if applicable), and any other instructions to:
- Alzheimer’s Foundation of America
Attn: Development Department
322 Eighth Avenue, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10001
If you have any questions about donating securities, please contact our development team at 866-232-8484.