- This event has passed.
Webinar: Racial Disparities and Their Impact on Incidences of Dementia and Barriers to Caregiving
August 28, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm EDT
AFA’s educational webinar will explore the question of racial disparities and their impact on increasing incidences of dementia-related illnesses, including Alzheimer’s disease, among Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC).
Specifically, our panelists will discuss:
- How racism and discrimination increase risk factors of cognitive decline and dementia in BIPOC communities;
- Differences in dementia caregiving in BIPOC communities;
- The impact of racism on public health initiatives and preventive health measures;
- Gaps in research on such disparities in dementia; and
- Outreach strategies to increase BIPOC participation in clinical studies.
Congresswoman Maxine Waters (D-CA)
Co-Chair, Congressional Bipartisan Task Force on Alzheimer’s Disease
Jennifer J. Manly, PhD
Associate Professor of Neuropsychology
The Neurological Institute of New York
Columbia University Medical Center
Roland J. Thorpe, Jr., PhD
Professor, Health Behavior and Society
Johns Hopkins University
Member, AFA Board of Directors
Director of Community Empowerment
Univision Communications, Inc.