- This event has passed.
Family Dynamics in Dementia Care General Course
May 17 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT
Family Dynamics in Dementia Care
Location: LIVE Interactive Webinar
Date: May 17, 2022
Time: 10:00am-12:00pm CST
Course Description: This LIVE Interactive Webinar workshop will review the different types of relationships that may be present in the life of an individual living with dementia. A review of family dynamics and exploration of how to identify and assess these dynamics will be reviewed. Additionally, we will explore different ways the professional care partner can work with families while understanding their emotional experiences and help everyone effectively communicate. The overall goal is to ensure meaningful living and quality of life for both the individual living with the illness and the family members. This workshop is fully interactive. Attendees may ask and answer questions throughout the presentation and participate in instructor-led discussions. This workshop is fully interactive. Attendees may ask and answer questions throughout the presentation and participate in instructor-led discussions, as well as case vignette discussions, and a Q&A session at the end.
After attending this course participants will be able to:
- Define and describe family roles.
- Describe how dementia can impact an individual’s family and dynamic.
- Apply communication strategies that can assist in supporting the individual and family impacted by this illness.
- Assess family dynamics and their impact on the individual.
10:00am – 10:30am – Explore familial dynamics and relationships.
10:30am – 11:00am – Identify family roles and how they can change when a family member develops Alzheimer’s disease.
11:00am – 12:00pm – Learn interventions that can help teach families to improve communication and collaboration, practice empathy, an ultimately work as a team to support their loved one.
Program Goals and Target Audience: To educate CCM board-certified case managers, social workers, paraprofessionals, and health care professionals of all levels about dementia care and supporting those affected by dementia-related illnesses.
Content Level: Beginner, Intermediate
Presenter Bio: Jennifer Reeder, LCSW, SIFI
Jennifer Reeder is the Director of Education and Social Services for the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America. This includes overseeing AFA’s National Toll-Free Helpline staffed by licensed social workers, and community class programs all instructed by various therapists and educators. Ms. Reeder graduated in 2011 from Temple University with a Maters of Social Work, and entered the not-for-profit sector providing in-home therapy to families in the Philadelphia area for over 9 years. She is proud to now be supporting individuals and families affected by Alzheimer’s and dementia-related illnesses while providing clinical guidance to the licensed social workers of AFA. She encourages engagement and peer support from attendees, while drawing from real life situations to enhance the learning process.
Fee and Registration Information: Cost is FREE and includes 2 CE credits. To begin registration follow this link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6538698214472186123 Attendees will receive an email with a link to log on to the actual webinar at the specific start date and time. Registration remains open until start of the live webinar.
Course Completion and CE Information
Course completion requirements:
- Licensed social workers must attend the entire course and complete an online course evaluation. New York licensed social workers must also pass the online exam by 80% which can be taken as many times as needed to pass. AFA will email all registrants who attended the entire course with a link to the exam and evaluation which are completed through SurveyMonkey.
- Other professionals seeking CEs must also attend the entire course and complete the online evaluation. Exam not necessary.
- Certificates of completion will be emailed or mailed (attendee’s preference indicated on the evaluation) within 10 business days of course completion and the exam is graded.
- Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0222.
- Family Dynamics in Dementia Care, Course #3655, is approved by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program to be offered by Alzheimer’s Foundation of America as an individual course. Individual courses, not providers, are approved at the course level. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ACE course approval period: 6/11/2021 – 6/11/2023. Social workers completing this course receive 2 General Social Work Practice continuing education credits.
- This program has been pre-approved by The Commission for Case Manager Certification to provide continuing education credit to CCM® board certified case managers. The course is approved for 2 CE contact hour(s). Activity code: I00045862 Approval Number: 210001231.
For questions, concerns, or to request special accommodations, please call: 866-232-8484 or email Jennifer Reeder – firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Operating system||Windows 7 – Windows 10
Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) – macOS Big Sur (11)
Google Chrome OS
Android OS 5 (Lollipop) – Android 10
iOS 10 – iOS 12
|Web browser||Google Chrome (most recent 2 versions)
Mozilla Firefox (most recent 2 versions)
|Internet connection||Computer: 1 Mbps or better (broadband recommended)
Mobile device: 3G or better (WiFi recommended for VoIP audio)
|Software||GoToWebinar desktop app
GoToWebinar mobile app
|Hardware||2GB of RAM (minimum), 4GB or more of RAM (recommended)
Microphone and speakers (USB headset recommended)
|Mobile device||iPhone 4S or newer
iPad 2 or newer